Saturday, September 22, 2012

Happy Autumn, Happy Fall!!

I am SO ready for it to be autumn!!  So ready for the cooler mornings, cooler evenings and, hopefully, cooler DAYTIMES as well!  Living in Central Florida I often feel as if we have seasons here...known as "Hot, Hotter, and Holy HELL!!"

But seriously, I begin to get "antsy" around this time of year...because Autumn is my favorite season...readying for Thanksgiving...my favorite holiday.  In visiting the local stores, I feel that Thanksgiving is a "forgotten holiday"...just last night I was in Target, searching the Halloween aisle(s) for my new found love, "Candy Corn M&M's" (seriously...have you TRIED these?!  They're HEAVEN) and noticed that the CHRISTMAS decorations were peeping out....an aisle of them...at the back, behind the Jack-o-lanterns.  A sacrilege, completely and totally.

I did try a Starbucks "Pumpkin Spice Latte" last night (delicious) and that has put me into the mood for all things pumpkin.  Soooo....for the next couple blogs, I'm going to try to get some recipes together that will put a new spin on that lovely, orange, autumnal orb.  Have you ever had a Pumpkin Bagel?  Delicious!  And here's a great topping for one (if you manage to find one!) or for apple wedges, vanilla wafers, or water crackers.

Harvest Pumpkin Dip

1 c. pumpkin
1/2 c. sour cream
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 c. Cool Whip (or other non-dairy whipped topping)

Combine everything but the Cool Whip--mix well.  Fold in Cool Whip.  Spoon into small serving bowl, top with chopped pecans (this is optional...you could also top with some crunchy granola, or even "craisins"!!)  Chill before serving.

Happy First Day of Autumn!  We're still in the "90's" here...but I am ever hopeful that, before too much longer, we'll also feel (at least a LITTLE) "snap" in the air.

Food quote of the day: "Vegetables are a MUST on a diet.  So, I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread and pumpkin pie"  Jim Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment