Saturday, September 1, 2012

A Meal in One Pan...Yes...You CAN!!

Today is my Amy's birthday...and she is one GREAT cook!  Sooo, I've decided to share a recipe she just gave me the other day.  When I read it...I felt "in the autumn spirit" and couldn't WAIT to try it.  And it is DELICIOUS...even my husband raved...and I was apprehensive about whether or not he'd like it!  Give it a try to get YOU into that "autumn mood"...it may not FEEL like fall OUTSIDE...but you can at least get into the spirit INSIDE!!

Brown Sugar Kielbasa with Apples and Onions
serves 4-6

14 oz Kielbasa sausage, sliced thick
2 medium onions or one large, sliced thick
2 Granny Smith apples, cut into thick slices
2 T. butter
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp paprika
1 T. finely chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste
fresh sage and fresh thyme (although when I made it, I used dried thyme...but fresh sage)

Heat butter in a large skillet.  When hot, add the onions and apples and cook on low for about 5-10 minutes or until slightly caramelized.  Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the thyme and sage, stirring to evenly combine.  Cover and continue to cook on low for about 15 minutes, or until everything is heated through and the brown sugar has formed a syrupy glaze.  Plate and garnish with the fresh herbs.

Amy served hers with a hot German Potato Salad..which she said it went very well with.  I'm the only one that likes German Potato Salad...so I served ours with rice and it was very tasty.  I think it'd also go nice over noodles...or even mashed potatoes or some potatoes roasted in the oven with some fresh herbs.

Happy Birthday, Amy!  I'm proud to share recipes with you...you are an awesome cook!!  Love you!!

Food quote:  "Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree"~ Martin Luther.

No comments:

Post a Comment