Monday, June 13, 2011

Is it a casserole? a dip? a tortilla filler? It's "Fiesta Karis!"

Dinner was early tonight because Dan just got home from work and has to go back there in about 12 hours. So I decided to try a recipe that Karis had given me while she was home for Cassie's graduation. This stuff is SO good, that Dan and I spent dinner talking about all the different ways it could be used....for a party dip; served with chips....wrapped in tortillas, put in a casserole and covered with cheddar jack cheese and put in the oven until it browned and "crisped up"....just suffice to say this stuff is REALLY GOOD!!! So here goes....have "Fiesta Karis" for your next meal or party.


Fiesta Karis
4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 jar salsa (your choice as to what kind and how much "heat")
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 package cream cheese

Coat the chicken breasts in the taco seasonings and place in the bottom of a crock pot. Add the salsa, corn and black beans...cook on low all day. About 30 minutes before serving...add the brick of cream cheese; once it's melted stir in. Serve with rice and/or tortillas (or chips)

I love it when my kids come up with recipes and share them with me. It proves to me that they're not afraid to try recipes on their own, and that they like them enough to share them with me. Karis is a phenomenal cook...and this recipe proves it. Once you've made it, if you want to vary it just a bit, then I think you could even substitute cubed beef (cooking it all day in the crock pot would make the meat REALLY tender) or ground beef (like taco meet...I would, however, probably cook the ground beef IN the taco seasoning, as you would for regular tacos, if I was going to do that)

Today's food quote: “Food is our common ground, a universal experience.” James Beard (1903-1985)

No comments:

Post a Comment