Friday, February 18, 2011

Love your home, love your life

I profusely apologize for not blogging in such a long time....I just realized that the last time I blogged here it was the day before Thanksgiving!! Hope you had an opportunity to spend the Christmas holidays with your families and friends, and do some holiday baking. We had all four kids here for Christmas, which also included our newest member of the "family", Cassie's boyfriend Scott. Sadly, Christine could not get enough time off, so Karis had to come alone, but was able to spend a wonderful amount of time with us. Couple all of that with some medical "issues" around the first of the year and I guess that's my best excuse for being AWOL.

I've realized in the last month or so, how fortunate I am. I have a wonderful, hard working husband, some awesome kids, a nice house and am able to cook great meals and share them with ya'll. I am able to spend some wonderful time with some pretty fabulous friends. I may not travel the world in reality, but I can travel the world in my kitchen, and make food to share with friends and family. I may not have a lot of money to eat out, but I can make and share foods that warm the heart and soul. I can even relax with a good book and a nice hot cup of tea all by myself. I love my home...and I love my life.

My husband cooked for me tonight. He made a romantic dinner and we ate by candlelight, just the two of us, out by the pool. I'm going to share his shrimp recipe....experiment with it, tweak it and make it your "own"....share it with someone you love.

Dan's Grilled "Thai" Shrimp

1/2 lb uncooked shrimp (the ones we bought had the shells on, but you could just as easily by the ones with the shells already off--you need to remove than anyway prior to cooking them...unfortunately the ones with the shells taken off are sometimes "pricier". Your call. Just make sure the tails are on and they are UNcooked)
1 1/2 c. (or one can) of coconut milk
6 scallions, chopped
4 T. chopped cilantro
Zest and juice of one lime
salt and pepper

Combine milk, scallions, cilantro, lime juice and zest, salt and pepper together in a bowl. After removing the shrimp's shells (if you've bought them with them on) immerse them into the mixture and let soak for one hour.

Make sure your grill is HOT....use two long skewers (if these skewers are wood, you will need to soak them in water for about an hour, a good idea is to soak them while your shrimp are marinating) Thread the shrimp onto the skewers, inserting the skewer through the meatiest part of the body.

Place skewers onto the hot grill...grill for no longer than 5 minutes (shrimp cook quickly) turning once.

Serve with melted butter, or my favorite "dipping sauce" Publix brand "Mango Poppyseed Dressing" (I swear, I put this stuff on EVERYTHING!!)

Enjoy, have fun, make moments and memories. We're having some beautiful weather right now, (at least here in Florida) hope you're able to spend some time outside.

Today's food quote: "Enchant, stay beautiful and graceful, but do this, eat well. Bring the same consideration to the preparation of your food as you devote to your appearance. Let your dinner be a poem, like your dress." Charles Pierre Monselet, French author (1825-1888)

1 comment:

  1. I'm being told that people can't comment on the blog site...so this is a "test comment"

    ReplyDelete