Friday, November 19, 2010

A "Wizarding" recipe for my kids...and yours...with thanks to Tammy!!

Last night, to prove my love and devotion to my daughter, I went to bed at 11:30 and then got BACK up at 2:00 in the morning to go and pick her and her friends up from the midnight showing/opening night of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1)" I must confess, that I am NOT a Harry Potter fan, but all of my children are, so I support them wholeheartedly. Anything that encourages reading...and I am there.

So it was with great interest that I read a recipe posted by my friend, Tammy, for "Butterbeer" which is (I'm told) a beverage enjoyed by the characters of the Harry Potter series, and served in lovely frosted mugs at our neighbor...the newly opened "Wizarding World of Harry Potter" (aka "WW", "Harry Potter Land", or "Potterville"). I can not personally vouch for whether or not this
recipe is authentic or tastes anything like the ones served in WW. I'll have to get back to you. But, in honor of last night's opening of "Deathly Hallows" and out of love for my daughter(s) and THEIR love for Butterbeer, I'm going to post it here. I'm told that "butter extract" (called for in this recipe) can be found in the baking aisle of almost all grocery stores; near the vanilla, lemon and almond extract. McCormick's supposedly makes some.
If anyone has made this, or does make this, please post your opinion of it's authenticity and taste.

So, Harry Potter fans, enjoy your Butterbeer. Maybe you can make some, kick back and watch the other movies before you head out to the theater to see the latest (and next to last) movie.

Homemade Butterbeer

Makes 6 servings

Ingredients


FOR THE BUTTERBEER
6 12-ounce bottles cream soda [I prefer IBC (which is vegan) or Polar Classics Vanilla, but any will work perfectly]
3 teaspoons butter extract


FOR THE FOAM (Vegan/Dairy-free recipe linked above)
2 cups heavy cream
6 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons butter extract

To make the butterbeer: Set out 6 16-ounce glasses. Place 1/2 teaspoon of butter extract in each glass. Pour 12 ounces of butterbeer into each glass. Lightly stir, if necessary.

To make the foam: In a large bowl, or the bowl of a standing mixer, whip the heavy cream on medium high speed for 3-4 minutes until it starts to thicken. Add the sugar and continue whipping until very soft peaks begin to form, another 3-4 minutes (if you need to whip more or less, then be sure to do so, the times can vary quite a bit based on environment). Stir in the vanilla and butter extracts, then whip for another 30 seconds or so, until soft peaks form.

Spoon a generous portion of foam on top of each glass of butterbeer. Serve immediately.

Today's food quote: Harry found the hot drink as welcome as the firewhisky had been on the night that Mad-Eye had died; it seemed to burn away a little of the fear fluttering in his chest. ~J.K. Rowling, "The Thief," Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment