Thursday, November 4, 2010

Mexican Rice.....fiesta! Ole!

Gosh I think I'm a horrible blogger...I get sidetracked by a little weekend (ok...so my husband had 5 days off over the weekend..it ran a little long)and then I get off track. So..today, I'm going to provide you with TWO recipes...as a kind of "catch-up". The first is one I not only make as a stand alone, but also make it (as I did last night) when I have left overs. It's one of the best uses for left over rice (outside of rice pudding..) Although I prefer to make it with yellow rice, you can also use white.

Mexican Rice Casserole:
3 cups yellow rice
1 can Ro-tell tomatoes
1 8 oz bag of shredded cheese (either cheddar or the taco/mexican blend, depending your preference)
1 lb. ground beef
1 small, or 1/2 medium onion (preferably red) chopped
1/2 can yellow corn
1 envelope taco seasoning
salt
pepper
cumin
sour cream

brown ground beef and chopped onions together; seasoning with salt, pepper and cumin to your taste. Add taco seasoning packet according to directions. Cook rice according to package directions (or use leftover rice). When finished combine the Ro-tel, 1/2 of the cheese, the corn, and the meat. Place in a casserole pan. (if I'm making this with leftovers I usually use a 9x9 pan, but if making it "from scratch" for a potluck, and using the entire rice package, you'll need a 13x9x2 pan). Top with remainder of the cheese. Bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is "bubbly". Serve topped with sour cream.

The second recipe is a GREAT recipe for leftover potroast. I love to make soup from my leftover potroast, or sometimes a pot pie, but my kids get sick of it. For a change, I came up with this recipe and (for now) it seems to be quite popular.

Stroganoff

1/2 to 1 lb leftover pot roast, shredded (beef or pork).. You CAN make this out of a pound of browned ground beef if you want to, but I pretty much reserve this recipe for leftovers. Also good with leftover turkey, you'll just need to use turkey gravy.
1 small to 1/2 med diced sweet onion
1 package button mushrooms, sliced (optional...my kids hate them so I leave them out if they're going to be home...but it DOES really improve the flavor
1 jar of brown gravy (beef or pork)
1/4 to 1/2 c. sour cream (depending on how much meat there is)
package of egg noodles

Saute the onions and mushrooms in either olive oil or butter, your choice. Cook noodles according to package directions. After onions have been cooked until "clear" and mushrooms are done, add the meat so that it can warm through. Once warmed, add the gravy and then sour cream, stirring until gravy and sour cream are mixed together well. Don't boil. Let simmer for about 3 minutes. Drain noodles and add some butter. Serve gravy/meat mixture over noodles either on individual plates or on a large serving platter.

Both of these recipes are awesome for those colder evenings (and I'm SO glad they seem to be FINALLY getting here!!) and also are great ways to use up leftovers in the fridge. Isabella loves the Mexican Rice SO much, she even warms it up and eats it for BREAKFAST!!

Today's food quote: "I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a politician or a network executive" Marty Feldman, comedian

No comments:

Post a Comment