Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Breakfast--any time!!

A friend of mine came over yesterday...my intention was for her to come for coffee and breakfast/brunch. My stock "company brunch" is a frittata...but I was bored with that. So...in perusing my recipes I made a surprising discovery; it was totally bereft of almost any breakfast recipes!! So armed with an idea, a pantry, and the internet..I set off on a quest to find recipes with an "Autumn/Thanksgiving" flair...and this is what I came up with. Dishes such as these can make ANY breakfast special. I highly recommend sitting down with a great friend over coffee (or tea, or even Diet Coke) and breakfast and have the kind of chat that stretches into the afternoon. It's the most awesome thing. Thank you, Dinorah...for being my friend and making my life richer.

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes

2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. pumpkin pie filling
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2 T. sugar
3 eggs
1 3/4 c. milk

Mix the dry ingredients together, then add the eggs and milk. Use a blender or food processor on low and blend. This batter is REALLY thick. I would recommend making pancakes about the size of a salad plate..I made mine smaller and wish that I wouldn't have. Also, butter the griddle that you're cooking them on. These are great served dusted with powdered sugar and/or warmed maple syrup. They keep very well in a ziploc bag for breakfast the next day, warmed in the microwave.

The Dutch Baby:

4 eggs
1 c. milk
2/3 c. flour
1/2 stick melted butter
3 T. sugar
dash of vanilla
1-2 sliced pears (depending on size of pear)
extra butter for pan

Mix all ingredients except for the pears (and extra pan butter) together. Melt the extra butter in a medium sized cast iron skillet. Add the sliced pear, then add the batter. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 35 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar.

This is going to puff up REALLY high so don't be scared...also...when removed from the oven, it's going to "deflate" rather quickly--so I would recommend timing its removal at or VERY near the moment you intend to eat it. Also good with whipped cream....and it's been suggested here that it'd make a lovely dessert (maybe for a light lunch?) with vanilla ice cream on the side. The great thing about this is you can make it with almost any fruit (apples, berries, even bananas---or a combination). One of the most versatile things around.

Today's food quote: "Food is not about impressing people. It's about making them feel comfortable." Ina Garten--"The Barefoot Contessa"

No comments:

Post a Comment