Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Peanut.....Peanut Butter....YUM!

So yesterday, as my daughter Bella put it, I was on a "baking binge". I made several baked goods for the girls to have for breakfasts, lunches and snacks. My buttermilk biscuits did not turn out so well, so if anyone out there has a foolproof buttermilk biscuit recipe, PLEASE pass it on. Martha Stewart let me down. LOL

But I digress. Anyway, I'm currently on a hunt for breads to make besides the banana bread or Amish Friendship bread (my Amish bread recipe does not use a starter...it ROCKS). I think they make great snack foods, but also, at holiday time they make wonderful, inexpensive gifts from the heart (and hey, in this age of economizing who doesn't want or need to save some money??!!) So on my quest for new and fun quick breads I came across a recipe for "Peanut Butter Bread". This is a Paula Deen (she's my idol) recipe from one of her older cookbooks. After testing this recipe, I've made just a couple "alterations" (sorry, Paula) and I think that you'll be more than happy with the finished product. Keep in mind that this is a dense bread, not really all that "sweet", but it tastes great spread with jam, or Nutella (a well-loved staple in our house)...in fact, when spread with Nutella you have a snack that hints at the all time "fav" a Reese's cup. This recipe is super easy, go ahead and give it a try for a great snack or breakfast treat.

Peanut Butter Bread

2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. peanut butter (if you want a "crunchy" texture, use the crunchy style peanut butter!!)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine dry ingredients. Add milk and peanut butter. Pour into a greased loaf pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for about 50 minutes.

Recommended cooking tool: since we discussed giving loaves of quick breads as holiday gifts (another good idea is giving them as hostess gifts) I would recommend investing in small loaf pans. A normal recipe for a quick bread will yield you about two small loaf pans. I was lucky enough to find a set of four at a yard sale, and have used them many times over. I have even seen them sold as one LARGE pan that is divided into four small loaf "sections" and that would serve the same purpose, and probably be less expensive than buying four separate ones.

Today's food quote: "Don't take cookin' too seriously, honey. Life gets hard soon as we walk out or doors; cookin' should not be hard." Paula Deen

No comments:

Post a Comment