Thursday, October 14, 2010

Halloween Treats, no tricks!!

So I'm going to take a day off from helping you choose dinner ideas and holiday (Thanksgiving and Christmas) ideas to talk about a holiday I don't particularly care for, or get all that "excited" about, but seems to generate a lot of interest on the food front.

Today I saw the most adorable idea for Halloween that it inspired me to devote my entire blog to the holiday today. This is, most likely, the only time I'm going to mention Halloween because, as I said, I'm not all that fond of it.

This particular person had taken Nutter Butter cookies...you know the ones, they're shaped like peanuts...and after melting white chocolate (or the almond bark you can find in the stores right now) she dipped the cookies into the chocolate and lay them out on a sheet of wax paper. She then, while the chocolate was still "soft" placed mini chocolate chips towards the top of one end for "eyes" and they bacame....."Boo Babies". They were the CUTEST things I had EVER seen...and even though my kids are well into their teens I cannot WAIT to make some!!

Other ideas for fun treats are: wrapping facial tissue around a "Tootie Pop", securing it with a string and then drawing eyes on the "pop" to make ghosts. Also, if you're able to get your hands on the see through plastic gloves they use in food preparation, you can place a red gummy into each fingertip and then stuff the glove with popcorn....these make "Witches Hands" and kids love those as well. Speaking of popcorn, my kids love my homemade "caramel corn" and it is SUPER easy to make...all you do pop a large bowl of popcorn (I use an air popper, but you can pop it in a conventional popcorn popper or on the stove). Let the popcorn cool slightly. Melt one stick of butter and once it has melted add "about" 1/4 c. of brown sugar. Stir to dissolve and let it come to a quick boil....this should be a "syrup-y" like texture but if not....add a bit more brown sugar. Once it has come to a boil, remove from heat. Let stand for about 1 minute and then pour over the bowl of popcorn. Toss to completely cover. At Halloween I also like to sometimes mix in peanuts, candy corn, M&M's or even pretzels.

My kids love Rice Krispie treats (and so does their mother!!) and at Halloween time I like to put candy corn into them, and/or use the holiday Rice Krispies that they've come out with.

Other good ideas are melting the aforementioned almond bark, dipping the first 2/3's of a pretzel rod into it, rolling that into holiday colored "sprinkles" and letting set on wax paper until set and hardened. These are called "Fairy Wands".

If you are SUPER creative and adventurous, you can buy the "snowball" dessert cakes, and cover them with white fondant (available in cake decorating sections of many stores, Michaels carries it). Cover the "snowball" with a small square of the fondant, letting it "puddle" around the bottom. Add snips of black licorice for eyes and you have yet another "ghostie".

Anyone who has other ideas, bring them on!! If you have little ones (or even the older kids, sometimes) Halloween can be very exciting and since classrooms have a lot of parties it's great to have a lot of ideas in your repertoire.

Today's food quote: "Once in a young lifetime one should be allowed to have as much sweetness as one can possibly want and hold. Happy Halloween" Judith Olney

1 comment:

  1. Love these ideas! Thanks for posting! The "Baby Boos" sound way too cute and I do love the fairy wand idea. Thanks Roxanne!

    ReplyDelete