Monday, October 11, 2010

Give your dinner an exotic twist tonight

I love it when people send me recipes, but this recipe is from my sister and so it makes it even more special. I gave it a try and it IS awesome....it might require a trip down your local supermarket spice aisle if some of these spices aren't in your normal repertoire but that aisle is one of my personal favorites anyway, and all of these spices are SO versatile that you'll be able to use them in many more dishes you might want to make for your family and friends. The recipe as it stands, makes enough for a nice group; I cut it in half for our family.

So here, for an exotic twist on dinner tonight is

Pakistani Chicken

Ingredients:
2 cut up chickens
1/2 c butter or oil
6 sliced onions
2 tsp salt
1 tsp crushed cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper
10 crushed cloves of garlic
6 cardamon pods

Melt butter (unless you're using oil) and add spices. Pour over chicken to marinate for a couple hours. (Honestly, I find a good heavy duty ziploc back INVALUABLE for marinating meat in, just pop everything into the bag, and then put into the fridge...you can reach in periodically and "squidge" it around with your hands to make sure it's mixed well)

Bake at 350, covered with foil. (My sister's instructions are "until done" but if you're a novice and want to know how LONG.....chicken needs to be cooked to an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees...and that's going to be about 45 minutes or so for this dish). You can remove the foil towards the end (maybe the last 10 or 15 minutes) and it will brown and develop a nice, crispy crust.

Serve this with rice, and I recommend flatbread (pita or roti, whichever you can find). You will love the uniqueness of the flavor...I think it's always nice to try out types of cuisine you may be otherwise unfamiliar with or have never tried.

Recommended cooking tool: If you use a lot of rice you may want to invest in a rice cooker. I love mine, you can "set it and forget it" It cooks the rice and then keeps it warm until you're ready to use it. All you need to do is "fluff" it.

Today's food quote: "When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,' said Piglet at last, 'what's the first thing you say to yourself?' 'What's for breakfast?' said Pooh. 'What do you say, Piglet?' 'I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?' said Piglet. Pooh nodded thoughtfully. 'It's the same thing,' he said."
A. A. Milne, 'The House at Pooh Corner'

No comments:

Post a Comment