Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Not what's for dinner at my house tonight, but maybe a good idea for yours

Reflecting the change of the season, tomorrow being the first day of my favorite season, autumn, I'm making a pot of chili from some leftover ground beef used to make last night's meatloaf. But.....on the menu for later in the week is a variation on a new favorite of mine..capillini pomodoro. I had it at a restaurant last week and it has become a new favorite of mine. I had thought, however, that it might not go over "too" well here since it has no meat in it. Therefore, I am going to make this with pork cutlets, but you can make it with chicken. Feel free, also, to serve this sauce over angel hair pasta, thus making it the original "capillini pomodoro". This recipe serves 2, but can easily be enlarged.

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half and pounded into cutlets, or two boneless pork chops, pounded thin. (Honestly, I'm thinking this would ROCK served over salmon as well, so go ahead....experiment)
salt and black pepper
all purpose flour
nonstick spray
2 T. vegetable oil
1/4 c. vodka
1/2 c. chicken broth
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1/2 c. chopped fresh tomato (Roma tomatoes work best)
2 T. heavy cream
1/3 c. sliced scallions

Season cutlets with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour. Coat a saute pan with nonstick spray, add oil and heat over medium high. Saute cutlets on both sides, then transfer to a platter. Pour fat off of pan. Deglaze pan with the vodka (away from heat, REMOVE pan from heat to do this...it's really important). Return to heat and cook until nearly evaporated. Add broth and lemon juice. Return cutlets to pan and cook on each side for about 1 minute. Transfer back to warm platter. Stir tomatoes and cream into sauce. Heat through and then pour over cutlets. Garnish with scallions.

So enjoy the changing of the season (I'm brainwashing myself into believing that it IS cooler outside...even a little...and that IS a fall breeze I'm feeling....even if it's just winds from Hurricane Igor). Soon we'll be thinking of autumn holiday menus, baking, treat making and I, for one, can not WAIT. I love this time of year and can't wait to share all my special holiday treats with you. Please share yours with me as well, we can, after all, never have enough.

Today's food quote: "Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food" Hippocrates

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try this for two reasons:
    1) It looks really easy, and
    2) How can you pass up a recipe using vodka??

    ReplyDelete