Thursday, September 23, 2010

Here we come....on the run.......

Today was one of those days that usually only happens in sitcoms, where there's a laugh track or a studio audience who gets to "yuck it up" at the expense of others. But, sadly, it was all too real. For those of you who are uninformed, you can read about my day on my Facebook, or on Walmart's Facebook, whichever you prefer.

My grocery shopping didn't finally get accomplished until about 4:00 p.m., certainly not the time I am accustomed to shopping. The dinner I had planned for today was not going to happen. But, on the way home from the successful shopping trip this afternoon, I had an epiphany. This is how you whip up a dinner when your two teenage daughters are either working or have other plans (or....they have leftover food from when their aunt was here...lol). A quick swing into the local Publix (the only place I buy seafood and baked bread) and the following jambalaya was born.

3 c. cooked yellow rice (ours was leftover from Tuesday's dinner)
1/2 of a pkg of Kielbasa sausage, sliced thin
3 scallions, sliced thin...reserve some of the green "tops" for garnish
1 Roma tomato, chopped
1/2 lb. of uncooked shrimp
2 T. butter
splash of Louisiana hot sauce
Old Bay seasoning
water for boiling.

Take the 3 c. of yellow rice and place in a large pan, with the butter. Add the kielbasa, the scallions, and the tomatoes. As it heats, add the hot sauce.

Boil about 3-4 c. of water with old bay seasoning in it, while boiling add the shrimp and cook for about 1 minute, remove, drain, and take off the shells. Remove the rice and kielbasa mixture from heat and add the shrimp. Stir well. Pour into a serving dish and garnish with chopped scallion tops. Serve with warm Publix (or any other, lol) baguette. A salad would be nice too, but hey....I was too tired.

My husband is STILL raving...and is taking the leftover to work with him tonight to eat on his break. I love figuring out how to use something that's leftover, and since I had bought the kielbasa and the scallions when I was shopping...it came to me in a flash that a quick side trip to Publix for bread and shrimp (on sale this week, I might add) would make a KILLER dish for the two of us using the leftover yellow rice.

Here's hoping tomorrow goes better....for you AND for me.

Today's food quote: "There are may of us who cannot but feel dismal about the future of various cultures. Often it is hard not to agree that we are becoming culinary nitwits, dependent upon fast foods and mass kitchens and megavitamins for our basically rotten nourishment." MK Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment