Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A great contribution.....

I love it when people send me recipes.....because I know that a.) they're thinking of me and know that I love to cook and try out new things and b) it shows they're reading my blog! (yay!!) But it's even better when it's one of my kids who sends them to me...and my daughter, Karis, loves to cook as much as I do. So many of my really GREAT recipes are from her...and Thanksgiving just would NOT be Thanksgiving (and everyone knows that's my favorite holiday) without Karis' Sweet Potato Casserole and Rosemary Cornbread (I'll be sure to share those when we get closer to the holidays.

So Karis has sent me a couple really great recipes in the last week or so, but the one that REALLY intrigued me was the one for "Southern Tomato Pie". I love tomatoes, just the smell of a fresh tomato can make me feel "happy" (it's one of those "smells" that, to me, signifies springtime and summertime). As summer is winding down (or, if you live around HERE--still going full force) give this recipe a try for either a light dinner or maybe a "lunch with the girls". I'm printing this recipe EXACTLY as Karis sent it to me, including the "drink recommendation" at the end. I love you, Karis. I'm proud of you, not just your love of cooking but EVERYTHING about you. Can't wait until we can make this recipe (and share it) together).

Southern Tomato Pie

1 pie crust
1 cup mayo
2 cups shredded cheddar
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 sliced scallions
8 to 10 medium plum tomatoes, sliced

NOTE: I used a frozen pie crust, the recipe says refrigerated but I'm sure you could use homemade. Whichever type you use, partially bake it til it looks slightly puffed and dry.

Mix the mayo with 1 1/4 cups of the cheese and the pepper in a bowl. Sprinkle about 1/2 cup of the cheese on the bottom of the partially baked crust. Top with a layer of tomato slices, 1 tbsp of scallions, then sppon about 1/3 cup of the mayo/cheese mixture on top in dollops. Continue the process to make 3 more layers. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.

Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes, until crust is golden and juices are bubbling. Let the pie cool for at least ten minutes before slicing into wedges.

We served this with a big salad. I think it would also go well with roast veggies or even a nice steak. Don't be fooled though...it is very filling!!

PS -- we had it with Bud Light...I think it would be better with a nice glass of wine though. :o)



So enjoy this...enjoy making it (maybe with YOUR children?), enjoy sharing it, and enjoy everything about the sweetness and happiness that cooking (and cooking with fresh ingredients) can bring to your home.

Bon Appetit!

Today's food quote: "Happy and successful cooking doesn't rely only on know-how; it comes from the heart, makes great demands on the palate, and needs enthusiasm and a deep love of food to bring it to life" George Blanc (author of "Ma Cuisine des Saisons)

6 comments:

  1. Def want to try the tomato pie recipe, but I'm the only one in my house who loves tomatoes. Oh, and, she got the rosemary cornbread recipe from me!! I make it for my sweet husband, it's his fave. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. See!? Family recipes, passed around and handed down ARE the best!! love you, sweetie....maybe we'll make this pie the next time you come down and you and I (and maybe Karis) can enjoy it together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds perfect! Love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! I was just about to come down here and say, "I got that from Amy" but you beat me to it! Didn't you find that recipe because of Eric loving the House of Blues cornbread so much? Good stuff!!

    Also, I've been thinking that maybe some bacon would be a tasty addition to the pie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and I love you too, mom! Thanks for sharing my recipe. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bacon is a "tasty addition" to ANYTHING!!

    ReplyDelete