Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What's for dinner? Ravioli, with a twist!

Tonight it's going to be just Dan and I for dinner. Cassie has to work, and Bella is with a friend. I don't know if you're like me, but typically, when that happens, we try to have something that WE like but the girls may not. Tonight, however, I'm going to make my Ravioli with Browned Balsamic Butter sauce---since I don't want to do all the thawing, cooking, etc. that's involved with cooking a meal when it's just going to be us two.

So here's the recipe....it's quick, it's fast, it's inexpensive...and it's great for a summer time meal.

Ravioli with Balsamic Browned Butter

18-20 oz store bought package of frozen ravioli (cheese, mushroom, squash, sausage, whatever it is that you like)
6-8 T. unsalted butter (I use the entire stick of butter to make this sauce, because I like my pasta "saucy" but if you don't, then cut back to the 6T)
2 T. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/3 c. toasted chopped walnuts (you can toast regular walnuts yourself, in a 350 oven for 5-7 minutes, if you don't want to buy already toasted ones....if you do it yourself it tastes, and is, a lot fresher)
1/4 c. grated parmesan

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the ravioli and cook for 4-5 minutes, until tender but still firm to the bite (al dente), stirring occasionally. Drain the ravioli onto a large serving platter.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan cook the butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally. It will begin to "foam". When the foam subsides, and the butter begins to turn a nice golden brown (about 3 minutes), turn off the heat. Let cool for about 1 minute. Stir in teh balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.

Transfer the ravioli to the a large bowl, cover with the sauce and toss lightly. Sprinkle the walnuts and parmesan over the top. serve immediately.

This is one dish that does not work well as a leftover, so make only about as much as you know you're going to eat at one meal. But it is seriously awesome...has a very unique flavor. Nice to try different sauces with pasta instead of the usual marinara and alfredo ones that are so often used.

Today's food quote: Kind of a twist today, but I thought it appropriate (in view of the recipe) and interesting. In Italy someone who is a good eater is known as "una buona forchetta"---a good fork.

Recommendation: If you are a fan of Italy and Italian cuisine as I am, and love to read (as I do) please read "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. It is due to be released as a movie--starring Julia Roberts....but please read the book first. Awesome stuff.

Have a great day...wherever you may be. Today, here in Florida, it's raining (and we sorely need the rain) but if you look outside you can turn in 360 degrees and see an almost total spectrum....sunshine in once direction, sky that's streaked cloudy blue in another, gray and dreary to the next, and then the dark, dark black that signals an incoming storm. Pretty interesting and awe inspiring stuff if I do say so myself. In any case, wherever you are, have a great day....go ahead and cook something...create something....Eat....pray.....LOVE.

3 comments:

  1. I've made this ravioli before and it's sooo good, everything I've made of Giada's has been good though. I want to go see the movie for my birthday so I'm rereading the book again. Love it! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea this is a recipe of Giada's...although I add more butter. I've also used almonds (toasted) and pine nuts instead of walnuts...and I've added meat (like chicken or shrimp) to the sauce. I'm re-reading the book again too!! Got my copy at a yard sale about a year ago...WHAT a find!! love you too, sweetheart!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fantastic!! I will be trying this soon. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete