Monday, August 30, 2010

This "Southern Kitchen" ain't THAT Southern!!

So...a friend loaned me one of his cookbooks (word to the wise...do NOT loan me a cookbook...I collect them and if you loan me a GOOD one, it's going to tempt me in a bad way not to give it back to you----yes Clay, I'm going to return your cookbook, don't worry). This cookbook is called "Southern Kitchen", by Billy Cross. In reading it, I found out my kitchen ain't as Southern as I guess some people's are (another word to the "wise", this post is going to contain some "Southern English, so watch out, I've lived down here a long dang time and have had some great teachers).

Anyway, I'm ramblin' (what's new, right?). The cookbook is divided into 5 sections: Big Game, Small Game, Fowl, Fish, and "Serve Alongs". After discovering that there were recipes in here for about a dozen ways to cook squirrel (are you KIDDING me?), Beaver, Raccoon and Rattlesnake, I figured my kitchen must be "not that southern". I mean, I've eaten venison (deer, for the uninitiated) almost all my life, but SQUIRREL? And seriously, I can't speak for squirrels anywhere ELSE in the South, but Florida squirrels are small, REALLY small....basically little more than a rat with a furry tail (and not that FURRY a tail either!!). Certainly not the fat, sassy furry squirrels of the northern part of the country. As for eating Beaver, Raccoon or Rattlesnake...yea no thanks.

But....the section labeled "Serve Alongs" was where I got REALLY interested. These are some GOOOOODDD recipes so I fully intend to share some of them with you. Then....wherever you live, you can add a "touch of the South" to your kitchen--without having to eat squirrel.

And so I'm fixin to give you some recipes...so maybe you can eat southern tonight!!

Corn Soup

1 small onion
1 qt. chicken broth
1 small can tomatoes
dash, salt and pepper
2 T. margarine
1 can whole kernel corn
1 cup half-and-half

Saute onions in margarine. Put onion, a small amount of the stock, about 3/4's of the corn, and all of the tomatoes into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Put puree in pan and add remaining stock and corn. Salt and pepper to taste. Boil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat and add half-and-half. Simmer, but do not boil.

goes great with......

Jalapeno Cornbread

3 cups cornbread mix
2 1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. salad oil (vegetable oil)
2 T. sugar
1/4 c. jalapeno peppers, chopped
1 1/2 c. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 pound bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
1/4 c. pimentos, chopped
1 c. cream style corn
1 large onion, grated
3 eggs, beaten

Put corn bread mix into a large bowl and add milk. Stir and add other ingredients. Bake in 3 greased 8x8x2 pans at 400 for 30 to 35 minutes or until light brown.

(If this recipe makes to much for you, you can freeze the extra (or give it to a friend, along with the recipe---it's always nice to share!!)

and....for dessert!!

Fried Apple Pies

1 lg can Hungry Jack biscuits
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 c. cooking oil
3 c. water
12 apples (fresh)
1 c. sugar
1 c. flour
1/2 tsp salt

Peel and core apples, chop and cook in water until tender, then add sugar, cinnamon and salt. Open biscuit can and separate individual biscuits. Place flour on board and roll each biscuit thin. Place small saucer upside down over rolled dough. Take knife and cut around the edges of saucer. Place 2 T. cooked apples on each circular piece of dough. Fold dough over apples and crinkle edges with fork, punch holes in the top and fry in hot cooking oil (use a shallow pan)until golden brown. If desired, dust with confectioner's sugar.

Today's food quote: "Swappin' recipes is "prob'ly" one of the best ways in the world to git yourself some new friends" Billy Cross (author of "Southern Kitchen")

5 comments:

  1. The squirrels in AL are HUGE. Clearly we were used to FL squirrels so the squirrels here seemed scary big. Anyway, I have a Southern Cookbook called Screen Doors and Sweet Tea that's really good. But the most beautiful cookbook I own is not southern but would make an amazing addition to your collection, it's called Apples for Jam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever read any James Villas or Martha Villas cookbooks? They are truly Southern (right from Charlotte, NC) and the cookbooks are fantastic. No squirrel mentioned ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why my comments post as asterstar. It's Miranda :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Virginia squirrels are bigger too but not big enough to where I'm not still wondering....just how many squirrels would one need to make an entire meal?? And how tiny would those drumsticks be?? Bleh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. most of the recipes call for from 2-4 squirrels. I am assuming those are not "Florida Squirrels" or you'd definitely need about twice that many.

    ReplyDelete