Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The inside secret on a Disney favorite

One of my favorite places to eat at Disney (and there are a LOT of them, believe me, Disney knows how to do a LOT of things right, but food is at the top of their list) is Le Cellier Steakhouse. Le Cellier is located in World Showcase at Epcot, in the Canadian section. Every year, during Disney's Food and Wine Festival, I am breathless with the anticipation of having.....Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup. I know that I'm supposed to be sharing lunchbox ideas with you....but today I'm not going to. I have a yearning to share something that makes me feel warm, cozy and safe. And that something is, Le Cellier's Soup. My husband even went out of his way to bring me a bowl of this when I was sick. Had to pull a lot of strings to do it, but not as many as it took for me to get my hands on this recipe (and a few other "Disney Favorites" too, I might add, but we'll save those for other times)

Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup, Le Cellier, Epcot:

1/2 lb. bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (use kitchen scissors, makes it much faster and a LOT easier)
1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
3 celery ribs, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
4 T. butter
1 c. all purpose flour
3 c. chicken stock
4 c. milk (whole milk)
1 lb. white cheddar cheese, grated (you can usually find this in the deli section of your supermarket)
1 T. Tabasco sauce
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/2 c. warm beer
Chopped scallions or chives for garnish

In a 4 or 5 qt. Dutch oven or large pot cook the bacon, stirring, over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
Add the red onion, celery, and butter and saute for about 5 minutes, or until the onion has softened.

Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes over medium heat. Whisk in the chicken stock and bring to a boil for a minute. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally

Add the milk and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Do NOT boil after you add the milk.

Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper until the cheese is melted ad the soup is smooth. Stir in the warm beer. If the soup is too thick, thin with some warm milk.

Serve the soup hot, garnished with chopped scallions or chives.

Today's food quote: "The quality of the food experience combined with great service is the foundation to building long-lasting relationships with our guests." Dieter Hannig, former Sr. Vice Pres. WDW Food and Beverage (Dieter, you are, were and always will be one of my heroes at Disney...thanks.....love you)

No comments:

Post a Comment